Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Internet Cafe

Hey all,

Just when you have a routine down, technology reminds you that Africa runs a little diffrently. Our internet and computers at the school are temporarily, but indefinately, out of service.

It's made lesson planning more difficult, and has also made me very greatful to my own fifth grade teacher, who placed so much emphasis on my penmanship. My students have been recieving photocopies of my own written worksheets. Hamdullah that the photocopier still works!

The plague has been sweeping the school this week. We have had about half attendence in the high school, both among teachers and students. The school even funded some preciously expensive 1oz bottles of hand sanitizer for each classroom to help prevent the spread of the disease. I don't know how much this helps, but my students love going through "santizing patrol" at the start of each class. They always remark on how expensive the bottles are, and seem proud that the school would spend that on them and their health.

Yesterday during nature study, I took ill myself, and spent the day at home today. I have a germ that has yet been unintroduced to the school (I don't know where I would have picked it up if not from the school), and I thought bringing that to the students in their states of many weakened immune systems would be self-defeating to everyone's education. After sleeping most of the day, I feel recovered.

Tomorrow my portion of the Rennaisance program begins, with a ballet class after school! I'm excited to spend more time (and time that is less formal and authoritative) with my students. I even have two volunteers from the seventh grade to assist in classes for the first two weeks while we do ballet.

My language studies have been going well, and I have gotten to the point of holding enough basic conversation to be able to briefly (and simply) discuss more important issues in Arabic. Though my main concern here has been with my students, it's nice to be able to respond to the taxi drivers who ask if I am Muslim in a way that positively reflects my culture.

The local guy at the next computer over is now more interested in my computer screen than his, so I'm going to sign out. Post me lots of messages to read next time I come to the cafe!

4 comments:

  1. I hope everyone gets better soon! You still need to send me an address so that I can post your brownie mix!! Hope all is well, Evan

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a moment there, when you said "the plague" is sweeping the school, I contemplated whether the bubonic plague could still be active in Morocco. I'm glad you've recovered and that you'll be in tip top shape to teach Ballet! What a great idea! I hope they love it as much as you'll love teaching it.
    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Now the back-up computer needs a back-up! Hope you are all getting healthy including the computer system. Is your own once soggy computer ever to run again? Miss you sooooo much! Love, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plague is indeed present in Morocco, but no longer an issue with antibiotics. Good thing we haven't been using them too much all over the world / good thing evolution is false.

    The new printer isn't working again, by the way. But considering my penmanship, could you perhaps write out my stuff for me too?

    Your dance class is impressive, nearly as much as your language skills.

    ReplyDelete