Friday, January 8, 2010

Open Doors

On Monday, my best Moroccan friend turned 22, and celebrated her first birthday. Birthdays are not typically celebrated here, and it seems that many locals don't even keep track of their age. At the most, they can often recall the year they were born - it took some basic math just to figure out her age for Monday. She loves American gatherings, and this seemed like one of the best opportunities. However, at the time it was supposed to occur, the country intervened, as usual. It was re-scheduled, but then transportation ran late, and her family's business making leather jackets was involved, and the party finally did happen the next night. Myself and two of my American girlfriends arrived and met a room full of Moroccan women in beautiful caftans, dancing away to fun Arabic music. We had delicious cake, and it was good to see her and her family.

At my own place, we've had guests all week. My roommate's best friend from CA is visiting, and 3aisa's girlfriend is staying with us for a few days while visiting him from America. I've been meeting with several girls who are visiting the city, to help show them around. They are expert travelers, and amazingly insightful and inquisitive girls from America and Australia, so my week has been a time of forging new friendships and playing hostess, which I love, whether it be in my city or my house, or just in this new culture that I have come to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment