Thursday, February 11, 2010

Illegal Aliens

Sometimes the most ridiculous aspects of life make the best stories. Every day, I wake up a bit before dawn to do some work and have some quiet relax time, and because I like to hear the dawn call to prayer. I go to school early so I can use the only computer the school has with the finicky printer, and usually start the day kinda wishing it was over already. First period is Pre-Algebra, and that almost always puts me in the mood to actually start the day, and each class I spend with the students makes me pick up momentum as the day carries on, so I know I have a good job. After school I tutor and have duties and/or admin-type responsibilities until around 6-ish, when I often have an errand to run, or I just walk around the city and talk to my friends who are vendors.

For the last 6 months, one of the errands that I occasionally have to care for involves my residency paperwork. First, I needed to visit the police agency with my passport and diploma to have them issue all of our papers. They gave us additional paperwork to fill out - the teachers last year didn't have it, but it wasn't a big deal. It had basic information. They also wanted our resumes. We all went back to the police station several times, and were repeatedly told, "we're kinda busy, come back tomorrow." Finally, they gave a few people residency papers. But not me.

The remainder of us were told that, to acquire residency papers would require us to open a Moroccan bank account in US dollars. So we went to the bank, all with our passports. Suzanne and Candace opened their accounts, and thus went back to the police agency and got their paperwork. 3aisa and I were told that a passport was not sufficient to open a bank account. Strike 2.

We two returned the following day with our drivers' licenses, but we were informed that a drivers license also was not sufficient. In addition to our passports, we needed a piece of mail that we had received while in America from a company. An electric bill, a phone advert, a paycheck. Anything with our name and an American address. Why would we have brought this to Morocco?! Why is it necessary or important?! Most importantly, since we definitely did NOT bring such an envelope with us when we arrived 6 months ago, how are we to get one now, now that we no longer LIVE in America or receive mail there?!

Finally, my friend Malika, who also works for the school, and is married to a man of influence, spoke with the owner of the bank. It is no longer necessary to have an envelope.

3aisa and I went to the bank today, but he has had another problem occur in the meantime: his passport was stolen on his last Visa run to Spain. It's being renewed in Casablanca now. She informed him that she could not help him, so he returned to school. What we forgot today was that, when he returned, he had the money for both of us in his pocket! So, I actually had the opportunity to open the account today, but had no money to do so. Strike three.

Insha'allah situations coincide better tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. As for 3aisa, I'd like to note that I am, in fact, not an illegal alien, as I entered quite legally. ;)

    ReplyDelete