Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Saffron-Coloured Glasses

In times of challenge, we grow. When presented with obstacles, our determination is sharpened. When faced with adversity, we find strength we never knew we had.

I have never been more thankful to be home. The first week back at school passed with little difficulty - an unanticipated treasure, as all teachers can verify. Somehow the rooms full of students accustomed to sleeping late, eating snacks consistently all day, and tackling intellectual challenges no more difficult than composing a decent argument to get your neighbor to give back the soccer ball, quietly re-focused themselves on their studies.

I am thankful for my students this week, and the honesty and kindness they show.

The Algebra class greatly enjoyed a game that I borrowed from the fourth grade teacher, "Stump the Chump." Although none of the groups managed to make an equation that I couldn't solve, they participated enthusiastically, and there was some creative number manipulation devised. The three physics students who entered my class halfway through the year are catching up, and at least catching on to the necessary basics, a good start for now. They showed significant respect for lab equipment and sharing with each other in a Hooke's Law Spring Constant Calculation Lab. In equation-of-the-day news, the 7th grade has now defeated the 12th grade *twice* in the number of valid equations discovered on any one day! They have gotten very creative!

A few groups of foreign guests came through this weekend, and I really enjoyed dancing until after midnight with the folk dancers who stayed at my apartment - sunny young girls who spoke eloquently floral French.

Guests always indicate medina tours, and never fail to bring some small adventure to the day! The weekend was sunny and warm. Though I worry for what the spring will yield with the absence of the month-long rain we should be experiencing now, I must admit to fully enjoying the sunshine that melts over every ancient wall and street. The noise and bustle of the medina just glows brighter today, and the warm sunshine matches the warmth in the smiles of familiar faces along the streets.

I met one traveler near the main gate in the medina; I knew he was waiting a few minutes, but the area is interesting to the point of sensory overload. When I approached, I could pick him out immediately: shorts, backpack, overwhelmed facial expression. At least he wasn't alone; the waiter at a nearby restaurant was speaking quickly with him, holding up several menus, trying to convince the poor man that he REALLY REALLY did want to eat lunch now, because at this restaurant he would get the family price. I have seen this man say the same thing to every tourist for the last year, although we have never actually had a conversation ourselves. When I approached to rescue this traveler, the waiter responded joyously, "Oh you are with her! I known her since longtime! She is very good, very good guide. She is like my sister, I know her! Well, I never talk to her, but I see her all times! Since longtime I see her!" I was too busy trying not to laugh to even respond.

Being here makes me take joy in life again, and I grow stronger for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment