Monday, August 10, 2009

Wearing Hijab - a culture lesson summary

A few of the teachers heading to my school and I decided to wear the hijab, the headscarf, this past week, as a test in cultural sensitivity. We all want to respect the Muslim sense of modesty, although, as foreigners, we will not be expected to wear hijab on a daily basis overseas.


The rest of the teachers here knew our intentions, but those who did not immediately changed their demeanor when we had our heads covered. I received stares ranging from curious to hostile, and several comments. One woman went so far as to catch my arm in passing and stop me to inform me that it was tragic how “my women” were forced to hide themselves in such a way. Even as a Christian woman, I must admit I took offense.

In the short time that I have studied Islamic culture, I have come to have great respect for the people I will be teaching in the coming year, and I wanted everyone supporting me back home to understand the culture I am entering with my eyes.


Islamic behaviors are based upon the respect of God (in Arabic, Allah) and preserving the honor of their family. Men and women are careful to betray “not even a hint of immorality,” because any rumors would affect not only the individual, but also the family that raised him. This results in the conservative dress and the careful relationships between men and women. Men and women are never left alone together, and truthfully rarely build friendships with single members of the opposite gender, because it would lead to temptation or shame. The Muslim dress arises from this desire for purity, and many Muslims find it freeing to be able to be themselves without worrying how they look in the latest fashions. They see American dress as constraining, because it boxes women into selling their attractiveness or sexuality, like lining them up in a shop for men to browse.


The Arabic word ‘Muslim’ means ‘one who is surrendered to God,’ though it is conventionally used to describe followers of the Islamic faith. Islam teaches the respect and profession of the one true God, regular prayers, giving of alms, fasting, and a pilgrimage to Mecca. They believe primarily in the one true God, with the Qur’an as the written word of God revealed to the prophet Muhammad. They also believe that every land has had a prophet – including Jesus, whom they admire as a man of God. The phrase “Son of God” turns them away because they often interpret it too literally.


For all this information, I have to give a shout-out to Louisa, who has done a fantastic, informative, and culturally sensitive job telling us about Arabic culture, the difficulties we may encounter, and the ways that we can rise to the occasion and reveal ourselves to react in a way that is ‘delightfully different.’

No comments:

Post a Comment