Friday, October 9, 2009

Mid-terms

We are officially halfway through the first of the six terms that comprise this school year, so I'm working out grades to send home progress reports. It's more difficult without any form of technology. Even the report cards at the end of the year are handwritten - a printed spreadsheet that gets taken around to each of the teachers, who fill in the appropriate cell on each student's paper. I had a meeting with one of my student's mothers today, seeing as he is (like too many of them) failing both of my classes.

It began awkwardly, due to the extreme language barrier, and the fact that our translator was her son. I believe completely that he was translating what I told her about his progress, but I'm also sure that he was making excuses to her at the same time. Who wouldn't? It was a hard thing I was asking him to do, and eventually Najet came over and took over for him.

Our apartment was cleaned yesterday by Louisa's hadema, and most of the power-tool work has been done this week. I think we're on our own from here, which is fine with me! We're beginning at a higher standard than my apartment last year in the states, and the place here has great potential. We've killed 3 roaches so far. Tomorrow, a senior girl I'm friends with is coming over to teach me to make Chicken Tajine. I'm excited; I never cook anything. The khobz bread is so delicious I rarely eat anything non-sandwich-ed.

I'm nervous for my students. I want them to succeed. As their teacher, I should be able to make that happen. But I can't MAKE it happen. I struggle with wanting to negate this assignment, or delete that zero. The lack of work has consequences, and I need for my class to teach them that. Teachers at home, any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Ask your students what they want to get out of the class, and what their immediate and long term goals are. Most likely the grades they will receive from your class will affect their goals, you just have to lead them on a journey of self discovery so they come to that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about what goals your kids have in mind. Now, I know nothing about the culture over there (and don't come back over here and throw something at me) but do these kids have the opportunity to grow up and be doctors or lawyers? Not making any statement about their education, but does society afford them the change to move into some sort of America defined white collar position? Just my random question of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan, that's actually a good question, and a serious concern for many of our students. Many of the upperclass here unfortunately are of the mindset that they need to do well so they can leave the country and get white-collar jobs in America. What we are trying to promote is the idea that, while I'm sure America could always use one more doctor to join the millions already there, one good doctor HERE would change hundreds of lives. One strong politician HERE could revolutionize the country. One well-educated, wealthy, influential student of mine could grow up to bring about change that defines the country for the next generation!

    America is a big pond. Our students can be big fish in the small pond in this country, and they have the opportunity to help their own people and be more influential than Americans can realistically dream of being.

    ReplyDelete