Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Quarter-pennies

I have a plane ticket to Madrid. I got it (round trip) for a quarter penny.

Here's the story. I don't yet have my carte du sejour, my working visa, in this country. ...so, every three months, I get thrown out. Every three months, all of us have to leave the country for a day, then re-enter. Ridiculous. We are traveling on the weekend of Green March, the holiday commemorating the date in the 1970's when soldiers were forced to march into the desert to claim it as our own. All the new teachers, and some of the returners, will be traveling to Spain over the long weekend on a FORCED vacation. And we can do all sorts of crazy h'shuma stuff like wear short sleeves and go salsa dancing.

My roommates are awesome. The other day, we played for about a half hour with a dishtowel. I don't know how it started, but we were washing up after having dinner with Abdul and Ethan, and Candace threw the towel at Suzanne, who swatted it to the floor. Instant fun! The event was repeated, and it wasn't long before we had our singular red dishtowel out in the living room, all three of us swatting and kicking and diving back and forth. We thought it was hysterical, and it was the best toy in the apartment at the time.

Abdul and Ethan were playing backgammon. They were not amused.

But the squatty-potty is less stinky after Candace dumped bleach down it daily all week.

2 comments:

  1. Have a great adventure in Spain! Sitck with a "buddy", be safe and dance up a storm.
    I love those basic toys. Are you ready to show us your apartment? We all love photos.
    Love you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of a bunch of grown people playing with the towel reminds me of a pack of cats doing the same. On a similar note, Zero has taken to the habit of hiding underneath the rug near my back porch and swiping at Persia's tail whenever she passes by.

    Persia is not amused.

    ~ Aidyn

    ReplyDelete