Sunday, September 13, 2009

First Week of School

Hmmm it's the weekend. (Ok, it was when I started this post on Friday, when the internet punked out on me.)

There may be a trip to the hamaam tonight, and a mountain walk tomorrow, and lots of planning Sunday.

The week at school went well, and improved as it progressed. The students have gotten accustomed to my routine... and warning system... I haven't managed to give out any detentions in the first four days, but a handful of students expired their last warning. Apparently I've acquired a reputation for being strict, which is just fine with me for the first week. I realized this week a strange quirk of teaching: it may be the only job where you don't want to have a good first impression. Better to appear strict at first so you're taken seriously (especially at my age), then prove yourself cool and fun in a few more weeks.

Many of my students are extremely bright and very hard workers, and they're all quirky and lovable in that unique student-y kinda way. Hamdullah. It's going to be a good year.

The school's only printer has been out of ink since Wednesday, and will be fixed tonight (Friday) insha'allah. That will be good to have again. Science classes remain a challenge without it.

Candace and Suzanne have also had adjustment weeks. They were surprised (as was I) at the level of English-skills some students possess or don't possess; this presents a more dire problem in the elementary school. They are spending lots of time planning English activities like songs and picture books, and I love to listen to them plan together. They are really gifted teachers and I'm lucky to be 'living' with them.

Our housing situation may change in two weeks, insha'allah. We are waiting on the director's carte du sejour, so he can rent the apartment in his name as our contract stipulates. I enjoy staying with Tony, so I am in no rush.

1 comment: