Friday, September 25, 2009

Layer and Stink

When I met the other teachers over the summer, a teacher who had worked at my school for several years came to speak with us. He told us that, in country, we should do as the locals do: layer and stink. It gets cold in the winter, and the modesty codes require layers of clothing. And nobody showers much.

The local public bath houses are called hamaams, and for many, this is their only way of cleaning. I think I see why people don't have showers.

My shower broke today. I have only had cold water, which has only been a problem at 6am when everything is cold. Today, I turned on the water and the hose attached to the shower head snapped. Water went everywhere. Except on me.
Thankfully, Candace and Suzanne just had their shower fixed from a similar condition last week, so I was able to beg a shower from their place.

It was the first warm water I've had in over a month. Hamdullah.

6 comments:

  1. Should we all pitch in and send you cases of deodorant? You can hand them out in class...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really need to fix that this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happened to me when I was showering! The shower head separated from the hose, and water went everywhere. I wonder how often this happens....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @E. Reid LOL

    I get the layering idea, just because of the cold, but why should you stink?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because it's cold! Cold showers are much less agonizing in the summer. I think people seldom shower daily when it gets chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't think YOU would be able to take cold showers, even in the summer Miss Warmweather/Hateswinter. I hope that there's a hardware store or an easy way to buy teflon tape or other water sealing adhesives to solve your problem. And if there's isn't, let me know soon and I'll add it to your ever-growing care package. I love you very much, and love reading about your adventures via the blog.

    ReplyDelete